Wednesday, December 14, 2022

The future of AI

What I Learned

As soon as the video started, it opened up to a very familiar game for me: Go. While Go is very popular in Asian countries, I learned it from my grandfather, who lived in the Philippines for a couple of years. While I was never good at it, and he would constantly beat me, it was interesting to see such an obscure game here in the states on the screen. So now, back to the video, this primary thing was teaching me the considerable impact Go had on the AI scene. It really makes you wonder, if Lee Sedol were to win that match, what would the future of AI look like. On the other hand, however, I feel like this Lee Sedol match was inevitable; even if he did win, that would only push humans to make a more advanced AI that would eventually be able to match a human. Also, later in the video Kai Fuli makes a quote saying, "So, in the age of AI where data is the new oil, China is the new Saudi Arabia." This quote stood out to me because it is so true in this new digital age; every country that has the most data on its people, or people, in general, will make money the quickest. We see this now with companies in America; Facebook and Google are so rich because they can profit off the data their millions of users give it.

What Frightened/ Suprised me

The reason I chose to combine these two questions is that throughout the length of this video, it seemed that almost every little thing that surprised me also gave me a little bit of fright. The biggest and most obvious one is China and how they abuse the powers of AI. Looking at China, it sort of gives me hope that things in America might someday have a lot of those technological advances that are so readily available in China that it seems just not very well implemented here in the states. The problem with looking at China is that they obviously have crossed a line with their AI functions. The huge one is using AI to harass and torture the Uighur population. When I saw that segment, I was absolutely stunned by how they use QR codes to brand certain people effectively. They essentially have all of their phones tapped. On the wrong side, China is showing an efficient blueprint on how to spy on your citizens; they have no limits on what they will invade, while on the flip side, it can also show other countries what lines not to cross when trying to implement AI into the everyday population.

Pro/Cons
While watching this video, some excellent pros stood out, including the advent of self-driving cars. One of the guys in the video said that around 90% of all accidents involve a human driver and I feel like if we can make self-driving safe and reliable, we can save so many lives.  On top of that, AI does make lives more accessible and more seamless for the general population; it will help lines move quicker and maybe even assist in some areas of government someday. While this all sounds like a utopia AI will obviously take away a lot of jobs from people, it is said by 2025, AI might replace 85 million jobs. On the flip side, AI will also create some new jobs, but the jobs they create will require expert knowledge in specific areas that the people in the jobs they are replacing most likely will not have.

Conclusion
In the end, just like all great inventions, AI will have its triumphs and its downfalls. We as a people know how to use something for good but also, sadly, how to exploit something for evil. While I hope the latter does not happen just with everything, the worse does seem to come to pass, but let us hope with this invention can really help change the world and make us better people. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Technology:How it has affected me

 In 2022, it feels like technology seems to follow me wherever I go. Whether I am at the house, library, or even the coffee shop, there are ...