Wednesday, December 14, 2022

The Wonders of Emojis


 For as long as I can remember, I have been using emojis to express how I feel when I text. I was kind of surprised by their long history of them when Dylan gave his EOTO presentation on them. A couple of things really surprised me; the first was the use of an emoticon in an 1881 magazine.  When I look at the emoticons that were in this magazine, they obviously are fundamental, but they also follow the same pattern. They all contain six lines but are just contoured a different way. The creators laid a very good framework for the first emojis to emojis because as I look at the joy emoji that was first used, it seems very similar to the happy emoji that is used today. The following fact that really surprised me is that it took almost 100 years from the release of that 1881 magazine for the everyday use of emojis to really take effect. Personally, for me, I would have thought the modern use of emojis would have been built more upon after the release of the first smartphone, which was in 1993, but it is just weird to me how someone was building up this use of emojis with still no way to text someone. Then finally I did not know that was a difference between emoticons and emojis I have heard the word emoticon before but I always thought the two words were interchangeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Technology:How it has affected me

 In 2022, it feels like technology seems to follow me wherever I go. Whether I am at the house, library, or even the coffee shop, there are ...